Our district is one of leadership and innovation. We don't follow the trends in education, we set them.
Longview ISD is home to more than 8,400 students and 1,400 staff members, with our richly diverse student population reflecting our wonderful city and the East Texas area in general. But our educational offerings are just as diverse as our people, including everything from magnet charter school STEAM campuses to project-based learning.
For our youngest students we recently built a $31-million state-of-the-art campus that houses the largest public Montessori program in the United States. This year our Montessori program is expanding into the Ware Elementary campus, where it is expected to grow into the East Texas Montessori Academy for grades 1st through 5th. This is an elite, Montessori-style education free of charge to the entire community.
Our district is one of the few school in the United States that offers the esteemed International Baccalaureate Programme, with an increasing number of National Merit and GLOBE scholars. We lead East Texas in state TEA distinctions and dual-credit college hours earned, and each year we graduate more students to more prestigious universities than any other district in the region.
We are one of the largest employers in the city of Longview, and our staffers are among the highest-paid public school educators in the area. In July 2018 our Board of Trustees approved a 3 percent raise and step increase for teachers, which makes more than ten-straight years such a measure has been passed. Our district also offers the LIFT bonus fund for high-achieving teachers and campuses.
- LISD schools earned 40 total distinctions on state accountability ratings, an increase from 34 earned last year, and the highest in the region.
- Each year HUNDREDS of out-of-district students transfer INTO into Longview
- Independent School District, citing "education opportunities" as their reason.
- International Baccalaureate project partners with “We Help Two” and sells “funky socks” to help supply legs and feet to amputees all over the world.
- Brand new partnership for innovation with East Texas Advanced Academies which will bring new funding and ideas to public education.
- Three campuses with national STEM certifications (Judson STEAM Academy, Bramlette STEAM Academy, and Ned E. Williams).
- Largest FREE public Montessori school (for 3-to-5 year-olds) in the Nation. Provided free of charge to Longview area children.
- Partnership with Longview Chamber of Commerce to help foster community partnerships and mentors for Ware students.
- Went totally ‘green’ on all building projects resulting in a $200,000 award from SWEPCO for energy conservation
- Graduates matriculating to EMT, Cosmetology, welding, Culinary Arts, Meat and Butchering programs nationally.
- Eight-week Montessori training for other districts in Texas hosted by East Texas Montessori Prep Academy
- Award-winning Theater Arts program with a director who has been with the district for more than 50 years.
- Raising Highly Capable Kids parenting class in partnership with Longview Chamber of Commerce.
- Horticulture Program harvests own bee hives to sell honey, wax, and wax products at FFA shows.
- LIFT program annually paying out close to $1 million in staff bonuses for improved testing scores.
- Hosted Adjunct Fair for SFA to help employ Adjunct staff in Longview and through Longview ISD.
- Purchased multiple pieces of strategic real estate, without increased debt, for future expansion.
- Every year of Superintendent Dr. James Wilcox tenure the LISD budget has been "in the black."
- Local corporate partnerships with Eastman and Komatsu and Longview Manufacturing Academy.
- Hosted “Axe”epted East Texas meet and greet for area students attending SFA in Fall 2019.
- Lobo Band continuing their string of 69 consecutive first-level honors at State Sweepstakes.
- Bramlette STEAM Academy as National Capturing Kids’ Hearts national recognition/award.
- Partnerships in education with UT, SMU, Texas Tech, SFA, KC, LeTourneau, and UT-Tyler.
- “Playing for Keeps” childcare program for students with children, as well as LISD staffers.
- May 2019 hosted first LHS CTE Signing Day for students going to college or workforce.
- More than 100 teachers earned Project Based Learning certifications in Spring 2019.
- Multiple graduates with offers to Ivy League and other prestigious universities.
- Lobo University to help prepare students and parents for life after high school.
- 36 students graduate with Associates Degrees (50 projected in class of 2020).
- Longview ISD middle school students earn "Duke Scholar" honors every year
- LISD farm-to-table program, partnering with local farmers for cafeteria produce.
- Award-winning elementary, middle school, and high school choir programs
- Perfect scores on PSAT as middle schoolers from Foster Middle School.
- Only free public K-12 International Baccalaureate program in the world.
- Fall 2018 LHS donated more than 400 coats to KLTV’s Coats for Kids.
- Summer backpack program to make sure kids get fed year-round.
- Signing Santa to help deaf ed students communicate with “Santa.”
- Culinary Arts CTE student-led catering program began Fall 2018.
- Only International Baccalaureate program east of Interstate 45.
- More than 500 LHS students were taking dual-credit last year.
- 116 incoming Freshman applying for dual credit courses.
- State and National Technical Student Association winners.
- Orchestra offered at elementary, middle and high school.
- Named 2018 School Board of the Year from Region VIII.
- More than 30 teachers with national STEM certifications.
- Wall of Honor honors Veteran alumni and their families.
- LHS music students annually perform at Carnegie Hall.
- Privatized custodial services to save taxpayer dollars.
- Gold Standard Award yearly for financial transparency.
- Less than 2 percent dropout rate at Longview High.
- Class of 2019 earned $8.5 million in scholarships.
- 236 unduplicated seniors with dual credit hours.
- Over 6500 hours of college by 2019 graduates.
- 6,531 semester credit hours for dual credit.
- Award-winning high school art program.
- 2018 UIL Academic District Champions.
- Class 6A State Football Champion.
- 2,601 Workforce hours earned.
- National Welding Champions.
Longview ISD believes in excellence for all, one child at a time! We have a high focus on academic achievement, as well as building partnerships with our community. We are truly working to provide a quality education which serves all students in the Longview area.
The district website provides the most current information for our district. If at any point you cannot find the information you are looking for, please contact our Community Relations department at (903) 381-2200.