Board approves 2017-2018 District calendar
The school year is far from over, but next year's schedule is now in place. Classes will begin Aug. 28, 2017 and end June 1, 2018.
Important dates for next school year include:
• Aug. 28 – First day for students
• Sept. 4 – Labor Day (observed)
• Nov. 20-24 – Thanksgiving Break
• Dec. 23-Jan. 7 – Winter Break
• Jan. 15 – Dr. Martin Luther King Day (observed)
• March 12-16 – Spring Break
• March 30 – Good Friday (observed)
• May 28 – Memorial Day (observed)
• June 1 – Final day of school
• June 4, 5 – Bad weather makeup days (if needed)
Longview ISD Board of Trustees approved the 2016-17 District Calendar during Monday's regular meeting.
Superintendent Dr. James Wilcox said recent state legislation prevents schools from starting prior to the fourth Monday in August.
"Obviously, we would have preferred to have school end before the month of June, but the way the calendar fell this year made it difficult to do," he said. "With that said, we feel like this calendar provides the most flexibility and accommodation for our students, staff, and their families."
For the complete 2016-17 Academic Calendar, please click here.