Philosophy and Vision
Longview ISD believes in excellence for all Bilingual/ESL students. The district is committed to addressing the needs of students who are identified as English Language Learners (ELL) and to provide an equal educational opportunity for all identified students through bilingual education and English as a second language (ESL) programs by providing the research-based framework and support needed for all students to reach their full potential.
Believing in excellence for all, Longview ISD will guarantee the highest level of academic achievement and character development of each learner by providing challenging curriculum and exemplary instruction that encourages respect for English and native languages as well as multicultural values within a safe environment.
The purpose of this mission is to foster the development of biliterate students who can achieve success academically and socially as they transition to mainstream English instruction.
In this global world a biliterate person can achieve success in education, business, and everyday living.
Longview ISD implements the state mandated Transitional Bilingual Education Program as per Chapter 89.1210 of the Texas Education Code. The Transitional Bilingual Education Model is a full-time program of transitional instruction. The amount of instruction in each language (L1 and L2) shall be commensurate with students’ linguistic proficiency and academic potential in both languages. Coordination, collaboration, and articulation among all campuses, and district staff concerning the education of ELL will ensure that:
- Students will meet or exceed increasing state and national standards.
- Student academic performance will be at or above grade level.
- Bilingual /ESL education program models will be consistently implemented by gaining the active support and understanding of all members of the school district and community.
- All personnel involved in the education and delivery of services to ELLs will be trained so that they have the knowledge to support and deliver the appropriate/effective instruction.
- Students will develop confidence, self-assurance and positive identification with their cultural heritage.
- All students will develop positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- ELL parents will be involved in the educational development or their children and to be included in the decision making process affecting their children’s education
- All ELLs will meet Texas English Language Proficiency Assessment System (TELPAS) composite scores with progress of at least one level per year.
- Students will meet exit criteria no later than seven years after beginning ELL services in the L.I.S.D.’s Bilingual program. Students who begin in Pre-Kindergarten will meet exit criteria by the end of 5th grade.
- Students will be able to listen, speak, read, and write fluently in L1 and L2 as measured by the oral language proficiency test upon meeting exit criteria.
- Students will be able to meet Higher Education Readiness Component (HERC) at 11th grade after having been served in the Longview ISD Bilingual/ESL program.
Core Values and Critical Attributes
- The bilingual/ESL programs in Longvirew ISD are research based and center on best practices for second language learners.
- Students in Longview ISD's Bilingual/ESL education programs achieve true biliteracy at the highest levels.
- Longview ISD Bilingual/ESL education programs will prevent or close academic achievement gaps between English Language Learners (ELLs) and non ELLs.
- Longvie ISD Bilingual/ESL Education graduates will be prepared to succeed academically and to become full and productive members of society.
- Longview ISD values equally the languages and cultures of all students and their families.
- The parents of our students as well as the community in general are active partners in the education of our students.
- Longview ISD’s central office and staff provides leadership, credibility, and respect for the program.
- Bilingual/ESL program will acknowledge individual student academic development and linguistic proficiency level through differentiated instruction while maintaining a rigorous curriculum.
- Bilingual/ESL program will have the flexibility of adjusting to individual and cultural differences among children.
- Bilingual/ESL program will develop the full repertoire of linguistic skills.
- Bilingual/ESL program will respect and value the students’ home language and culture.
- Bilingual/ESL program will teach second language through sheltered instruction and academic content.
- Bilingual/ESL program will foster biliteracy.
- Longview ISD recognizes teachers and administrators need ongoing and sustained professional development and support.
- Ensure that all students demonstrate acceleration and academic growth through cognitively challenging academic work in the student’s first language along with meaningful academic content taught through the second language (English).
- Ensure that all students will successfully transition to all English mainstream classrooms within the guidelines of the Longview ISD Bilingual/ESL Education program model.
- Demonstrate high levels of academic achievement and full academic proficiency in their native language and in English.
- Campus environment reflects the value and importance of both languages.
- Student work in both languages. All students and staff have access to appropriate resources in both languages.
- High levels of academic work and achievement in language proficiency in 1st and 2nd language in all content areas.